[Insight-users] Re: long time delay during implementation of MathematicalMorphologyBinaryFilters

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 05:04:48 EDT 2007

Hi,

This is definitely a problem with the default morphology operators -
they use a direct implementation of max and min over a neighborhood.
Gaetan and I have been working on faster versions that can give
implementation times that are independent of SE size, depending on the
shape of the SE. There are also versions that handle arbitary shape
and knock one dimension off the complexity - i.e a  x by y by z SE
will have comlexity x by y instead of x by y by z. The former uses the
vanHerk, Gil, Werman decomposition while the latter uses the
Talbot/vanDrogenBroek method.

Anyway, a preliminary version of this was posted to insight journal
while the current version we use is available in Gaetan's darcs
repository:

http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi

The one you are after is consolidatedMorphology.

ITK is missing quite a few of these efficient implementations of quite
important filters and we are working on them. In many cases this will
give filters that are similar to the current gaussian smoothing
filters in terms of complexity because they use recursive techniques
and decomposition.