Non rigid .. RE: [Insight-users] about register point set with surface

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed May 18 22:44:34 EDT 2005

Hi Robert,

Deformable registration among PointSets may be prone to association
mistmatch. In particular if you use a association critrion such as
"closest point".

The challenge with using a DeformableRegistration in order to evaluate
the results of a Rigid registration is that Deformable registration is
much more complex than a Rigid registration. Therefore, you will never
know if the values that you obtain in the evaluation are the result
of your DeformableRegistration being poor, or they are the result of
your RigidRegistration being poor.

I would suggest you to simply use the residual distances directly
from the distance map. Just as you propose in your email.