Non rigid .. RE: [Insight-users] about register point set with surface

Atwood, Robert C r.atwood at imperial.ac.uk
Fri May 13 11:18:57 EDT 2005

This question got me thinkng about my registration project that I mentioned in my previous question; quantifying the mismatch in successive manufacturing stages using point-scan data. Before launching into a whole new set of the registration classes and getting into the 'supervisor wondering' mode ;-) I though I would as the advice of those people more familiar with the mathematics of the methods.

If I take the two point sets, remove the rotation adn translation mismatch (either by rigid registration or some other method), apply a *Non-rigid* registration method such as suggested below, and then extract the vector field, will this be a valid representation of the degree of misfit between the two objects? My original idea was to measure the value of the distance map of one point set at the points of the other set. Would this just give the same result? Has anyone tried something like that already?

Thanks for any advice
Robert