[Insight-users] How to generate voronoi mesh diagram for cell layer

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Mar 18 14:22:14 EST 2005

Hi Hari,

That sounds like a very interesting project.

Here are several options you may want to try in
order to generate the Voronoi diagram of the cells.

1) If you use a local maximum (or minimum) detection
    you can use those points as entry points for the
    Danielsson Distance Map, which will compute a
    Voronoi partition for you.

    For details, please look at the ITK Software Guide

        http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

    Section 6.6, pdf-page 197, in particular you should
    look at the figure 6.30.

OR

2) You could try the Vornoi Segmentation method
    That will give you a finer partition than the
    one you are looking for. Then you could explore
    methods for going back to a coarser partition.

    Section 9.4, pdf-page 396.

OR

3) You could directly track the biological cells
    using the ITK bio cell classes.

       http://www.itk.org/HTML/Morphogenesis.htm

    Note that this method will use an overconnected
    mesh, so you still will have to simplify the connections
    in order to obtain a mesh.

    For examples on the use of these classes you may
    want to look at:

        InsightApplications/CellularSegmentation
        InsightApplications/Morphogenesis

    NOTE that this methods are a bit the opposite of
    what you are doing. These methods use the concepts
    of cellular behavior in order to perform image
    processing. What you are doing is to use image
    processing in order to understand cellular behavior.