[Insight-users] using 3d registration on a 2d stack of images.

Mark Wyszomierski markww at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 11:32:00 EST 2005

Thanks everyone for the info and clarification. I used
DeformableRegistration7 (BSplineDeformableTransform + LBFGSBOptimizer)
example for my trial. I use this method because my input to be
registered are contrast enhanced breast MRI images. I have a 3
questions:

#1) In the earlier registration examples, the input pixel type is
usually defined as type float. A comment in one of the examples says
this is to aid the histogram matching that is done to the input
images? But in DeformableRegistration7, I don't see this histogram
matching being done, is this necessary? I'm reading my data myself
from MRI images, the pixel type is unsigned short. Can I leave my
pixel type as unsigned short, or should I store it in a float array
before registration?

#2) Since each breast dataset is really just a stack of 2D images from
the MRI scanner, I use the following method to create a volume from
it: I allocate a 1D array of size (width * height * number of slices),
then copy the pixel data of each slice in sequence into the array.
This is done for my stationary and moving volumes. I then hand this to
the registration method. Is this acceptable?

#3) The registration seems to work, but an odd thing happens after I
extract the images from the registered volumes. The first slice always
appears black. The last slice always appears to have a black arc
through the center of the image. Any ideas what could cause that?

Thanks!
Mark