[Insight-users] Slice orientation determination (DICOM)

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Thu Sep 2 12:09:54 EDT 2004

If there is a DICOM tag that identifies this series as the scanogram,
we can add cache that data so that it can be queried by an application.
You can use a tool like DICOMWorks to looks at the available tags.

The DICOMParser library used by DICOMImageIO2 can easily be extended
to cache more tags.  We just need to know what tags to cache.  The
design of the DICOMParser is to only cache the tags that we know we
are interested in.  DICOM headers can be fairly large/complicated and
we only end up caching the information we know we want to use. (We have
thought of putting in a mode to cache everything, but it gets pretty
complicated wrt nested DICOM tags).

Once we cache this value, you'd be able to query the DICOMImageIO2 object
for the state or we can propagate the information up the MetaDataDictionary
for the resulting Image.  For the latter, if this is a "field" that could be

considered common to files type other than DICOM, we would want to
use a common name in the MetaDataDictionary, such as though described
in Insight/Code/IO/itkIOCommon.h

Jim