[Insight-users] Regarding AnalyzeImageIO

Hans J. Johnson hans-johnson at uiowa.edu
Mon, 08 Mar 2004 13:06:37 -0600

Srivalli,

I hope the following information is useful to you:

Hans

technical solution to the problem of multiple data formats in fMRI." We
have met several times and decided that one of our first priorities is
to describe and attempt to merge the variants of the ANALYZE(TM) 7.5
image header that are being used by the developers of the major fMRI
data analysis packages.

We have defined a compromise data format, dubbed NIfTI-1, that is based
on these variants and is "mostly compatible" with the ANALYZE(TM) 7.5
header, while using many of the "unused and lesser-used" fields for
fMRI-specific purposes. Developers of five of the major fMRI data
analysis packages (FSL, SPM, AFNI, BrainVoyager, and FreeSurfer) have
agreed to use this compromise format in the future, and will support
both input and output of the NIfTI-1 format. A considerable effort was
required to reach agreement with all of these developers. Given the
extremely limited space in the 348 byte header, it is unlikely that any
substantial changes will be possible in the NIfTI-1 format if we are to
retain the support of all five packages.

We envisage NIfTI-1 replacing the current range of ANALYZE 7.5 variants
both for file interchange and data storage.  NIfTI-1, while still
limited, contains a considerably richer set of metadata than exists in
the ANALYZE-based formats.

As of this message, the NIfTI-1 format specification, demonstration
programs, and related documents are being released to the general
neuroimaging community on the DFWG website
   http://nifti.nimh.nih.gov/dfwg/
along with an interactive forum for comments and discussion. The DFWG
committee will next meet in early May 2004, and any comments you care
to make and would like to have considered at the next committee meeting
should be received by April 15, 2004.

Please feel free to pass this message along to any other person you
think might be interested.  Comments and questions should be directed
to the NIfTI-1 interactive forum, and not to DFWG committee members via
e-mail.  The full list of DFWG committee members can be found at the
DFWG website.

Stephen Strother, PhD                   Robert W Cox, PhD
Chair, Data Format Working Group        Director, Scientific and
Statistical Computing Core
NIfTI, National Institutes of Health    National Institute of Mental
Health
              and                        National Institutes of Health
Professor of Radiology                  Department of Health and Human
Services
University of Minnesota                 mailto:rwcox at nih.gov
mailto:steve at neurovia.umn.edu           http://nifti.nimh.nih.gov/dfwg/

We apologize if you receive duplicate copies of this message.