[Insight-users] BSplineDeformableTransform: Initializing from landmarks?

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 10 20:48:51 EDT 2004

Hello,

I am interested in the conditions under which the B-spline deformable
transform is it more useful than the FEM-based deformable registration
tools.

The main advantage appears to be the ability to add a "bulk transform"
to the B-spline transform, so that you can simultaneously perform
gross, rigid registration and more fine deformable registration,
instead of requiring a two-step process. Is this correct? Are there
other advantages? And what are the reasons one would prefer the other
deformable registration methods?

Further, I am interested if there is any way to (directly or
approximately) initialize a B-spline deformable transform with
landmarks.

The only way that I can imagine is to generate a deformation field from
the landmarks, use that field to deform the moving image, and then use
the deformed image as the initial moving image for the B-spline
transform. However, I'm not sure (a) how best to perform the initial
deformation (1 iteration of a deformable registration filter that
allows an initial field to be set?), (b) if too much image data would
get mangled in the process, and (c) if at this point, the B-spline
transform just isn't the right tool for the job.

Any thoughts or musings about either of these questions would be most
appreciated.

Zach Pincus

Department of Biochemistry and Program in Biomedical Informatics
Stanford University School of Medicine