[Insight-users] Difference between two recursive gaussian filters

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Jun 10 21:06:36 EDT 2004

Hi Kai,

The RecursiveGaussianImageFilter applies the
smoothing along a *single* dimension, while
the SmoothingRecursiveGaussianImageFilter uses
internally several RecursiveGaussianImageFilter
in order to smooth along *all* dimensions.

In practice you generally want to use the
SmoothingRecursiveGaussianImageFilter.

The RecursiveGaussianImageFilter is mostly
used inside other filters such as the
LaplacianRecursiveGaussianImageFilter and
GradientRecursiveGaussianImageFilter.