[Insight-users] AAAAAHHHHHHHH! What does this runtime error/message mean?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jul 13 02:21:28 EDT 2004

Hi Ramzy,

This error message means that you probably have
multiple copies of the ITKCommon.dll library for
unmatching versions of ITK.

If at run time your program finds an old version
of a DLL and tries to use it, conflicts will result
during the search for specific entry points for
functions.

Please check your system path and make sure that
you don't have other old copies of the ITKCommon.dll
in your path.

A simple advice:

             ITK is almost a full templated
library. You don't gain much by using shared
libraries since, as you may have already noticed,
the actual number of ITK classes that go into
shared libraries are *very* small. Most of the
code is actually compiled when you build your
application.

In practice the only good reason for building
ITK with shared libraries is to wrap it for
Tcl, Python or Java.  Otherwise shared libraries
will only give you headaches with very small
collateral benefits.

You may find useful to analyze your executable with
the "Dependency Walker" tool. This tool will show
you all the DLLs that your executable depend on.

You can download the dependency walker for free
from

     http://www.dependencywalker.com/