[Insight-users] Snakes in ITK

Ramzy Darwish ramzy_d at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 13 02:03:36 EDT 2004

Hello,
I am looking to use ITK to implement a medical image segmentation tool.
I am trying to convert an existing application from MATLAB.

THe existing application uses a Gradient Vector Flow Snake algorithm to
segment out an object.

The user is presented with an image and they are allowed to select a series
of points on the image.

These points are converted to line segments and are used as a 'seed' to the
snake algorithm.

Is there an ITK object that can take as input a series of points, and an
image and then perform a snake type algorithm on the image?

I am very new still and am trying to read the documentation, but I get
confused as to the difference between a few of the objects.

I have looked in to itkDeformableMesh3D, but I don't really understand how
it is related to a snake.

Please excuse my ignorance.

Thank you in advance,
ramzy