[Insight-users] MutualInformationEuler2DRegistration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Jul 2 17:01:50 EDT 2004

Hi Ying,

Something particular seems to be happening with the TIFF reader.

I was able to reproduce the problem that you reported by
taking your .jpg images and converting them to TIFF using
ImageMagick "convert" tool. It seems that, by default,
convert will attempt to create TIFF with 16-bit.

If instead of using ImageMagick convert, you use the
ImageReadWrite example in Insight/Examples/IO, set the
pixel type to "unsigned char" (instead of the current
unsigned short), read the .jpeg image and write it as
.tif.  Then this newly generated image works fine with
the registration example.

Given that there are so many possible configurations for
the content of a TIFF image, it is likely that the TIFF
reader is not interpreting correctly one of those combinations.

Please try one of your real TIFF images (not the synthetic ones)
and let us know what you find.

You may want to try it first by just reading it and writing
it to disk with the ImageReadWrite example. Once you verify
that the image is saved without any degradation, then you
can try the registration program on it.