[Insight-users] Searching for Optimal Path in 3D vectorfieldImage?

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 1 15:10:11 EDT 2004

There's a ton of literature on fiber tracing in vector images, with
methods for dealing with this exact problem. (I don't know if you're
looking at diffusion tensor images, but a lot of the literature is in
regards to tracing fibers in such images, so that might be a place to
start.)

One idea would be to borrow some tricks from the robot people and build
a probabilistic model of what a fiber does. Start at a point, then
estimate the strength and direction of the fiber based on the principal
components at that point. Then take a step defined by this strength and
direction, and *UPDATE* the estimate based on the new principal
components at that location. (You could also maintain estimates of
local curvature to help better follow bendy fibers.)

After a few updates, you get a good guess as to where the fiber is
going. If you hit a region of crossing fibers, then the "update" adds
only noise to your previous estimate, but you *still* have that
estimate to carry you through.

The simplest way to implement something like this is with the tried and
true Kalman filter (for which there is a LOT if literature), or you
could be more fancy and use something like a Bayes/Particle filter to
model state.

Zach Pincus

Department of Biochemistry and Program in Biomedical Informatics
Stanford University School of Medicine