[Insight-developers] vxl update

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Dec 7 18:19:19 EST 2010

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 17:54:40 -0500, Bill Lorensen said:

>There are a few issues. Several platforms have compiler errors:
>http://www.cdash.org/CDash/viewBuildError.php?buildid=795777

An old Mac.  Perhaps ol' gcc 3.3 just isn't up to it... :) It's running
10.4 IIRC, yes?  Looking here:
<http://www.cdash.org/CDash/viewSite.php?siteid=40>

is sadly not helpful.  This is bug:
<http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=9663>

Personally, I'd ditch gcc 3.3.  If it's running OS 10.4, gcc 4.0 is also
available there.

>http://www.cdash.org/CDash/viewBuildError.php?buildid=795403

My machine... the error is indeed correct, and I believe the problem
stems from the fact that this is a Universal Binary, and that vxl is
using a try-compile to decide that 'long' is 64 bit, but that's only
true for half of the universal binary, for the other half, 'long' is 32
bit, and the compiler rightly complains when they try to assign a 64 bit
constant.

Sorry I didn't catch that before the merge.  I don't have a universal
vxl dashboard (will add one now), and only tried x86_64 on my own machine.

I could fix this the same way it was fixed for VTK/ITK years ago: an #if
APPLE that ignores the try-compile results.

>http://www.cdash.org/CDash/viewBuildError.php?buildid=795260
>http://www.cdash.org/CDash/viewBuildError.php?buildid=795348

These are hitting an #error...

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com