[IGSTK-Users] Files

Patrick Cheng cheng at isis.georgetown.edu
Mon May 18 14:10:07 EDT 2009

Hi Fauze,

IGSTK has these assumptions:
1. Offsets are defined in the probe's local coordinate system.
2. When a probe is tracked(NOT calibrated, NO offset), the tracker
reports transforms of the probe's origin with respect to the tracker
coordinate system.

So the question is how to calculate the needle tip in the tracker
coordinate system.

Assume the tip has an offset of [-19, 0, -150], the position of the tip
in the tracker coordinate system is calculated by composing the offset
with the probe transform. Your offset is the leftTransform (with
identity rotation), the transform of the probe (reported by tracker) is
the rightTransform. The relevant code is pated below.

Please also refer to the IGSTK book:
http://isiswiki.georgetown.edu/DataServer/Data/Public/IGSTKTheBook.pdf

Chapter 8.2.5 "Coordinate Transformations" gives a detailed description
of the transform compositions.

Transform
Transform
::TransformCompose( Transform leftTransform, Transform rightTransform )
{
   VersorType rotation;
   VectorType translation;

   // start with rightTransform
   rotation = rightTransform.GetRotation();
   translation = rightTransform.GetTranslation();

   // left multiple by the leftTransform
   rotation = leftTransform.GetRotation()*rotation;
   translation = leftTransform.GetRotation().Transform(translation);
   translation += leftTransform.GetTranslation();

   // Add the error value together
   TransformBase::ErrorType  error = leftTransform.GetError() +
                                     rightTransform.GetError();

   Transform transform;
   transform.SetTranslationAndRotation( translation, rotation, error, 0);

   // Compute the overlap of two time stamps
   transform.m_TimeStamp = TimeStamp::ComputeOverlap(
leftTransform.m_TimeStamp,

rightTransform.m_TimeStamp );

   return transform;
}