[Ctk-developers] Qt licenses model

Tarbox, Lawrence tarboxl at mir.wustl.edu
Thu Nov 12 10:00:13 EST 2009

I think the reason that the Qt Software folks (now owned by Nokia) left the GPL option in is for the benefit of some of their partners who were writing GPL code (or dual-licensed GPL/Commercial code) back in the days when Qt Software was TrollTech.  Some of those partners have made additions/modifications to Qt, released them under GPL, and do not want to ever release them under LGPL.  While technically they could still release their additions/modifications under GPL even though Qt is LGPL (i.e., LGPL allows it), these partners prefer to keep their licensing straight forward, and just say the whole combined mess is GPL.  Qt Software is merely saying formally that Qt Software is OK with that model, basically reaffirming their partners' right to continue releasing modified versions of Qt under GPL.

At least that is the impression that I get.

I don't think that there is a problem with release our software under a modified BSD license, as long as we are only linking to Qt, and not modifying Qt code directly (i.e., one could switch to a Qt clone, if it existed, or to a modified version of Qt by simply rebuilding against a different link library).

If we do modify the Qt code itself, then those modifications would have to be released as LGPL.  Of course, if we modify Qt itself, I would vote for feeding those modifications back to the Qt community for potential incorporation into a future release of Qt.

Lawrence