[CMake] L

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Mon Nov 10 21:30:14 EST 2014

On Nov 10, 2014, at 5:03 PM, cgorac <cgorac at gmail.com> wrote:

> Rolf Eike Beer wrote
>> Yes, but the preferable solution would be that you ship a
>> OpenBLASConfig.cmake
>> with your installation, so it would work with any CMake version and you
>> can
>> adapt that file yourself in case of new components, library locations or
>> other
>> things.
>
> Why would OpenBLAS have to do this, when none of other BLAS implementations
> supported by FindBLAS.cmake aren't?
>
> OpenBLAS is probably the most convenient open source BLAS implementation to
> use at the moment, plus very fast, and it would really make every sense to
> have it supported by CMake.  Furthermore, I think rather simple change to
> FindBLAS.cmake is needed to support it: basically, as OpenBLAS is derived
> from Goto BLAS implementation, probably Goto BLAS related segment of
> FindBLAS.cmake should be just duplicated, with "Goto" changed to "OpenBLAS",
> and "goto2" changed to "openblas".  On the other side, same type of addition
> would be needed for FindLAPACK.cmake, as OpenBLAS is implementing LAPACK too
> (also through libopenblas.{a,so} library).
>
> Thanks.

Because if you do this then OpenBlas is instantly supported by currently released versions of CMake. If you are asking for an update to the core of CMake then you are going to have to wait for the next release of CMake and then ALL of your users are going to have to update their CMake installations. This may or may NOT be possible on all those systems. Having used OpenBLAS for a current project I would like to see the OpenBLAS developers step up and set an example for the other projects and properly support CMake. Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike Jackson:: BlueQuartz Software