[CMake] Running tests on remote machine

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 14:39:14 EDT 2013

2013/3/18 Robert Dailey <rcdailey.lists at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I currently have a VM that I use to debug my executables. It has the
> environment setup that is needed by the programs. Naturally, the tests
> also depend on this environment (nothing was really mocked).
>
> The machine hosting the VM is my dev machine, it only has CMake &
> Visual Studio. I set it up to remote debug on the VM, which accesses
> the compiled binaries via network shared folder.

Does remote debug with Visual enables the host to "run" something on the
remote target without having some part of Visual installed on the
remote target  ?

> Is there a way I can just run the tests on the VM with CTest? I don't
> want to have to install Perforce, Visual Studio, and CMake on my VM if
> I can avoid it. Note both machines are running Windows.

AIFAIK CTest has no 'remote run' capability, so you'll need at least
to have CTest
installed on the VM.

That said I do have a not so different usage.
I need to to distributed testing on a CMake enabled project.
What I currently do is to write a (python)
"test driver script" which does one (or several) remote connection to
the target(s)
and launch the CMake built binaries (and possibly tests inputs) which
are available
through network drive (host mounted on the target(s)).

That way CTest runs on my host and the executable runs on the remote targets.
The drawback is that I need to have a relatively "intelligent" scripts
which is able
to remote login and monitor/connect to  stderr, stdin, stdout on the
remote execution.

My solution currently only works on Unixes or on a remote host which has
an SSH server (ssh is my "generic" remote logion solution).

Thus my question, how does Visual do the remote login/connection for debugging?

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org