[CMake] Xcode without 'command line tools' & xcrun & CMake

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Jul 13 10:49:16 EDT 2012

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:18:38 -0400, Bill Hoffman said:

>> xcrun make --version
>
>That is so totally stupid....
>
>What were they thinking at Apple...

I'm not privy to their thinking but... one advantage to this approach is the ability to have multiple versions of Xcode installed.  I have the current 4.3.3 and the latest betas of 4.4 and 4.5.  I can invoke 'xcode-select -switch' to redirect 'xcrun' to any Xcode.app.  Then 'xcrun clang' will use the clang embedded in the chosen Xcode.app.  It's pretty useful really.

CMake wouldn't *need* to invoke 'xcrun make' to invoke make, though that's one way.  The other way is to ask xcrun to give you the path to make, ex:

$ xcrun -find make
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make

>Most of this is just a rant

Much of Apple's recent behaviour is very rant worthy, IMNSHO.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com