[CMake] New warnings in CMake 2.8.4-rc2

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Wed Feb 2 13:29:35 EST 2011

On Wednesday 02 February 2011, Eric Noulard wrote:
> 2011/2/2 Emmanuel Blot <eblot.ml at gmail.com>:
> >> Currently, there is no way to turn this off.
> >
> > Very, very bad news ;-(
> > IMHO, this is a recurrent issue with CMake. It seems there is no way
> > to guarantee that a project that builds well with a version of CMake
> > will build the same way with the next minor iteration (used to be
> > called "patch release").
>
> I think "recurrent" is a relatively tough statement, I'm using
> CMake for 7+ years now and never get caught by such an issue.
>
> I think that, CMake developpers are indeed very concerned with
> backward compatibilty.

Yes. It is one of _the_ main concerns.
If any change is made which is obvously backward incompatible (except for
internal stuff), it is rejected.
If there is a change with slight chances of breaking something somewhere in
some cases, it is at least discussed at length, with the outcome, that either
it is internal stuff, so people shouldn't rely on, or a policy is added, or
it is rejected.
It may happen that a change which breaks something is overlooked, but if you
report it during the rc phase, this most probably will get fixed.
(not sure this applies to the new warnings, since they are only warnings after
all)

I'm caring for KDE since, damn, almost 5 years now, and it's not bad.
There are very few breakages, or IOW, current KDE requires cmake 2.6.4, and
I'm not aware of any problems with newer versions of CMake.

Alex