[CMake] New warnings in CMake 2.8.4-rc2

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 11:41:31 EST 2011

2011/2/2 Emmanuel Blot <eblot.ml at gmail.com>:
>> Currently, there is no way to turn this off.
>
> Very, very bad news ;-(
> IMHO, this is a recurrent issue with CMake. It seems there is no way
> to guarantee that a project that builds well with a version of CMake
> will build the same way with the next minor iteration (used to be
> called "patch release").

I think "recurrent" is a relatively tough statement, I'm using
CMake for 7+ years now and never get caught by such an issue.

I think that, CMake developpers are indeed very concerned with
backward compatibilty.
POLICY are made for that.
CMake test suite and related dashboard are there too.

The fact is sometimes you can not imagine what people do with the software
you make :-]

So breakage during RC is not that bad.