[CMake] No Native 64-Bit CMake Binaries?

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Thu May 6 10:31:29 EDT 2010

On Thu, 06 May 2010 09:49:37 -0400, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:
> I still don't see the desire for 64 bit when 32 bit works...  :)

The 32-bit version either needs to be statically linked, or requires
compatibility libraries.  Google Earth and Skype is currently the only
things on my Linux machine that requires these compatibility libraries
(it's been this way for years, although Flash used to be on the list
too).  If I didn't use those programs, or they finally released a 64-bit
version, I would get rid of the compatibility libraries.  Also note that
using different standard libraries than the rest of the system uses more
memory because they are not shared.

I think it's quite backward-thinking to not distribute 64-bit builds for
64-bit architectures.  But I also think it's silly to install software
without a package manager...

Jed