[CMake] No Native 64-Bit CMake Binaries?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu May 6 09:49:37 EDT 2010

On 5/6/2010 9:36 AM, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> Yes, it works for now. However, the 64-bit version for MacOSX 10.6 is
> currently "broken" (at least to the extent that some of the tests
> don't "work out of the box" without specific configuration). I think
> that it is important that the community have as much experience as
> possible with the "new" implementation BEFORE the "old" one stops
> working entirely. We should encourage 64-bit capable users to use
> 64-bit implementations.

OK, 64 bit not working is a totally different story!

I will setup a dashboard for that and verify.  Thanks.

> I'm happy to build my own from source. But it appears that some
> others are unwilling to do so. Perhaps you should post notice to the
> effect that those who want a 64-bit version should build it from
> source. I'm sure that the OS distributors that provide CMake all do
> that already. They don't rely on YOUR binaries when the source is
> available.

I still don't see the desire for 64 bit when 32 bit works...  :)

I must be missing something....

I could put a notice that says:

Note: 32 bit CMake can be used to build 64 bit applications with no
problem.   If you really want a 64 bit binary of CMake for some reason,
then you can build it from source.

-Bill