[CMake] No Native 64-Bit CMake Binaries?

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu May 6 10:12:07 EDT 2010

On Thu, 6 May 2010 08:17:53 -0400, Bill Hoffman said:

>It is not a resource issue.  I just don't see the need?   What good is a
>64 bit CMake?   On Apple someone wanted to a 64 bit CMake, and I had
>them do bench marks, and not noticeable difference could be discerned
>between them.

That was me.  Our discussion is here:
<http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=9839>

>So, maybe this is just a marketing thing?

Definitely partly.  Apple touts the 64 bit thing in its marketing:
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/>

On Thu, 6 May 2010 08:13:47 -0500, Richard Wackerbarth said:

>However, it will be a compatibility issue. Things evolve. Remember
>MacOSX 10.0, 10.1? Back then, you could have argued that we didn't need
>a new version of CMake. The binaries from MacOS 9 ran just fine. Now,
>not only can you not run those binaries, but you cannot even run an
>MacOSX 10.5(ppc) program on 10.6. Even though that worked just fine on
>10.5(Intel), it is no longer supported.

I agree with your sentiment, but a correction is in order: 10.6 can
still run PowerPC executables (under Rosetta), but Rosetta is no longer
installed by default.  It's clearly on it's way out.

On Thu, 6 May 2010 09:18:42 -0400, Bill Hoffman said:

>Sure, and the version (of OS X) where that happens, is when I would
>start shipping 64 bit.   Right now having one binary seems cleaner,

For Mac OS anyway, you'd still have 'one binary' thanks to the
'universal binary' concept.

On Thu, 6 May 2010 08:36:41 -0500, Richard Wackerbarth said:

>Yes, it works for now. However, the 64-bit version for MacOSX 10.6 is
>currently "broken" (at least to the extent that some of the tests don't
>"work out of the box" without specific configuration).

Oh?  We submit several nightly 64 bit builds, and I see no more problems
than 32 bit.  What problems?

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com