[CMake] Minimal Info.plist

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Tue Apr 20 14:53:47 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 20 April 2010 11:44:27 am Timothy Shead wrote:
> On 4/20/10 10:11 AM, Ben Medina wrote:
> > What's throwing me off is the wiki says this about the Bundle
> > generator: "Rationale: de-facto standard mechanism for distributing
> > bundles." Unless that's only specifically referencing the previous
> > sentence about distributing a compressed disk image.
>
> Which it is ... not sure what the confusion is?
>
> > Is there any documentation about why one would choose the Bundle
> > generator over DragNDrop?
>
> Sometimes you need more control over the contents of a bundle than
> DragNDrop provides.
> For example, you might have a single bundle
> containing a "main", graphical UI application plus secondary helper
> applications that run in the background.  BundleGenerator gives you
> flexibility to create such a bundle, whereas DragNDrop would create a
> dmg with several bundles, one-per-app.  Of course, the cost is greater
> complexity.
>
> Cheers,
> Tim

My experience is the other way around.  DragNDrop gives me more control,
because Bundle is a specialization of DragNDrop with some additional
automatics built in.  Its fine, if you want those automatics.  I've done your
example with DragNDrop, and no, it doesn't make several bundles, unless the
CMakeLists.txt file says so.
All DragNDrop does is take the results of a "make install" and put it in a
dmg.  The Bundle generator modifies the results of "make install" and puts it
in a dmg.  Its that modification that gets in my way sometimes.

Also, one of my first tests of DragNDrop was making a working dmg of CMake
without any modifications which was originally coded for PackageMaker (and
other generators on other platforms).

Clint