[CMake] Minimal Info.plist

Timothy Shead tshead at sandia.gov
Tue Apr 20 14:59:42 EDT 2010

On 4/20/10 12:53 PM, Clinton Stimpson wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 April 2010 11:44:27 am Timothy Shead wrote:
>> On 4/20/10 10:11 AM, Ben Medina wrote:
>>> What's throwing me off is the wiki says this about the Bundle
>>> generator: "Rationale: de-facto standard mechanism for distributing
>>> bundles." Unless that's only specifically referencing the previous
>>> sentence about distributing a compressed disk image.
>>
>> Which it is ... not sure what the confusion is?
>>
>>> Is there any documentation about why one would choose the Bundle
>>> generator over DragNDrop?
>>
>> Sometimes you need more control over the contents of a bundle than
>> DragNDrop provides.
>> For example, you might have a single bundle
>> containing a "main", graphical UI application plus secondary helper
>> applications that run in the background.  BundleGenerator gives you
>> flexibility to create such a bundle, whereas DragNDrop would create a
>> dmg with several bundles, one-per-app.  Of course, the cost is greater
>> complexity.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tim
>
> My experience is the other way around.  DragNDrop gives me more control,
> because Bundle is a specialization of DragNDrop with some additional
> automatics built in.  Its fine, if you want those automatics.  I've done your
> example with DragNDrop, and no, it doesn't make several bundles, unless the
> CMakeLists.txt file says so.
> All DragNDrop does is take the results of a "make install" and put it in a
> dmg.  The Bundle generator modifies the results of "make install" and puts it
> in a dmg.  Its that modification that gets in my way sometimes.
>
> Also, one of my first tests of DragNDrop was making a working dmg of CMake
> without any modifications which was originally coded for PackageMaker (and
> other generators on other platforms).

Can you give me an example using DragNDrop to combine two CMake-built
executables into a single bundle?  My impression (perhaps dated) is that
I'd have to do some magic around making one of them a "source" file of
the other, so I could use MACOSX_PACKAGE_LOCATION to embed it in the
final bundle.

Cheers,
Tim

--