[CMake] generating GNU makefiles for MSVC

Randal Walser randal-walser at comcast.net
Thu Mar 6 16:20:39 EST 2008

Thanks to all for the feedback.  Seems there are several viable
alternatives.  I looked into cmake for the first time only yesterday,
to see if it would play well with GNU make and cl.  Apparently it
does, so it's up to me now to get my head around it.  Certainly looks
like great stuff.  I ordered the book and hope to have it in a couple
days.

Alex Neundorf wrote:

>Set the CC and CXX environment variables to cl, and install a GNU make for
>windows, best one is IMO the one you get here:
>http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

Nice tip, thanks.  I've used msys a bit, but hadn't had occasion to
try out unxutils.  I'll take a closer look at first chance.  For years
I've gotten along quite nicely with cygwin.  Seems unxutils or msys
would be great to have on a pen drive.

Bill Hoffman wrote:

>"Unix Makefiles" works as well.  I use gnu make from cygwin, (my
>compiled version from www.cmake.org/files/cygwin) and cl.  I have
>created a .vcvars file in bash shell that sets up my env so that cl can
>work from the command line.  I used to use nmake, but it does not
>support parallel builds.

That's the main thing I needed to hear.  Just wanted to make sure the
GNU/cl combination was actually possible with cmake before investing
time in it.  Thanks much.

Randal