[CMake] generating GNU makefiles for MSVC

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Mar 5 20:20:02 EST 2008

Ben Ratzlaff wrote:

> I have not gotten the Cygwin CMake to work well (its been a year since
> I last tried) with Visual Studio. I have to download the one from
> cmake.org. Then I use the following commands from a shell script

The Cygwin CMake works well with cygwin tools.  You need to use the
native windows version of CMake for other tool chains.
> #!/bin/tcsh -f
> cmd /C "vcvars32.bat && cmake -G "NMake Makefiles" ."
> cmd /C "vcvars32.bat && nmake"

"Unix Makefiles" works as well.  I use gnu make from cygwin, (my
compiled version from www.cmake.org/files/cygwin) and cl.  I have
created a .vcvars file in bash shell that sets up my env so that cl can
work from the command line.  I used to use nmake, but it does not
support parallel builds.

-Bill