[CMake] generating GNU makefiles for MSVC

Werner Smekal smekal at iap.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Mar 7 01:25:14 EST 2008

Hi,

>> Set the CC and CXX environment variables to cl, and install a GNU
>> make for
>> windows, best one is IMO the one you get here:
>> http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
>
> Nice tip, thanks.  I've used msys a bit, but hadn't had occasion to
> try out unxutils.  I'll take a closer look at first chance.  For years
> I've gotten along quite nicely with cygwin.  Seems unxutils or msys
> would be great to have on a pen drive.

unxutils are very, very outdated, don't use them. A much better
alternative with a much more active community is available at

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

These utils work very well using the native CLI provided by MS and you
don't ever want to touch MSys again, which is unbelievable slow. Sure,
MSys has other advantages (bash, you can use configure), but if you
happen to write "ls", "cp", "mv" all the time in MS CLI then gnuwin32
is your choice. And they also ported other very useful tools like
grep, sed, etc.

Regards,
Werner

--
Dr. Werner Smekal
Institut fuer Allgemeine Physik

email: smekal at iap.tuwien.ac.at
web: http://www.iap.tuwien.ac.at/~smekal
phone: +43-(0)1-58801-13463 (office), +43-(0)1-58801-13469 (laboratory)
fax: +43-(0)1-58801-13499