[CMake] Xcode projectRoot, projectDirPath and SCM

Baron Roberts baron at cthing.com
Wed Dec 17 01:42:16 EST 2008

Folks, I am generating Xcode 3.1 a project using cmake 2.6.2. I have noticed
that I am not able to connect the generated project to my Perforce SCM
system such that the files in the project are recognized as being in the
repository. While Xcode is able to access the repository itself, it will not
associate the project's files with it. After looking at the generated
project file, I believe I have found the problem.

It appears that projectRoot must be set to the empty string ("") in order
for SCM to associate the source files with the repository. In addition, the
project file (wrapper directory) must either be at the top of the source
tree or the projectDirPath attribute must be set to point to the top of the
source tree.

So it seems that cmake's Xcode generator should not put the path to the
project file in projectRoot but in projectDirPath and that projectRoot
should be set to "". Since it appears that there have been a number of
issues about the setting of projectRoot by cmake, I am interested in what
people think about my findings relative to their own experiences.

Thanks for any feedback,
Baron

Baron Roberts        mailto:baron at cthing.com
Founder              http://www.cthing.com