[CMake] NMake questions if I may.

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Mon Oct 22 09:28:30 EDT 2007

nmake /? in a visual studio command prompt should look something like this:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC>nmake /?

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.762

Usage:  NMAKE @commandfile
        NMAKE [options] [/f makefile] [/x stderrfile] [macrodefs] [targets]

/A Build all evaluated targets
/B Build if time stamps are equal
/C Suppress output messages
/D Display build information
/E Override env-var macros
/ERRORREPORT:{NONE|PROMPT|QUEUE|SEND} Report errors to Microsoft
/G Display !include filenames
/HELP Display brief usage message
/I Ignore exit codes from commands
/K Build unrelated targets on error
/N Display commands but do not execute
/NOLOGO Suppress copyright message
/P Display NMAKE information
/Q Check time stamps but do not build
/R Ignore predefined rules/macros
/S Suppress executed-commands display
/T Change time stamps but do not build
/U Dump inline files
/Y Disable batch-mode
/? Display brief usage message

As you can see, "/K" is "build unrelated targets on error" (in other words,
targets that do not depend on the failed target...)

As far as we know, nmake does not support parallel builds... if you find out
otherwise, please post back to the list and share the information with all
of us...!

HTH,
David Cole