[CDash] LDAP Authentication Issues

Zack Galbreath zack.galbreath at kitware.com
Thu Mar 21 13:49:14 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 1:58 PM Martin, Mark via CDash <
cdash at public.kitware.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I’ve established a CDash and have successfully authenticated, via database
> authentication, the original admin user.  However, I am experiencing
> difficulty authenticating other users via LDAP.  My LDAP configuration,
> generally speaking, looks like this:
>

> $CDASH_USE_LDAP = ‘1’;
>
> $CDASH_LDAP_HOSTNAME = ‘myldapserver.mydomain.com’;
>
> $CDASH_LDAP_BASEDN = ‘ou=Users,dc=mydc,dc=mydc2’;
>
> $CDASH_LDAP_PROTOCOL_VERSION = ‘3’;
>

> I have concern that CDash may not be able to connect via ldaps://
> myldapserver.mydomain.com/.
>

> I am experiencing a login screen that just spins (loading) for ~3 minutes
> before refreshing the login screen.  No error messages are being generated
> in the cdash.log file and no error messages are being displayed in the UI.
>

> Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on how I should proceed?

I can't say I've seen this behavior before. Without a publicly visible
reproducer, the best I can suggest is debugging by print statement. Here is
where the relevant code for LDAP authentication lives
<https://github.com/Kitware/CDash/blob/master/include/login_functions.php#L145>.
And here's an example of how to write to cdash.log:

    add_log('this is me writing to the log file', 'ldapAuth checkpoint #1',
LOG_WARNING);

Good luck! Please let us know if you discover any juicy error messages.