[Cdash] Problems e-mailing users about problems in builds

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Fri May 15 15:46:18 UTC 2015

On Friday, May 15, 2015 04:24:35 PM Kristofer Tingdahl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a CI which is reporting into a dashboard, and I want my users to get
> an e-mail if they are causing a problem. The problem is that I cannot get
> it working.
>
> I have polluted cdash with add_log to understand what is happening. It
> turns out that the SQL query in NNN, for instance:
>
> SELECT author,email,committeremail FROM updatefile AS uf,build2update AS
> b2u WHERE b2u.updateid=uf.updateid AND b2u.buildid='65962'
>

> does never return anything. It turns out that the insert into the
> "build2update" that associates the buildid with the update id comes later,
> and at that point, no-one is checking if there should be e-mails sent.
>

> From the ctest side, I see from the log that it alsways sends the Build
> first, followed by the Configure, and last the Update xml files. Since the
> insert into build2update comes at when the update is submitted, I tried to
> reverse the order by having ctest_sumbit (PART ... ), but then I get
> different build-numbers.
>
> Any ideas on how to proceed?

You could first check to see if this covers your problem:
https://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=15453

The debugging you are doing so far sounds much like the debugging I did a
while back.

Its a problem where users are subscribed to receive emails when their own
commits cause problems.  When users are subscribed to receive all emails, its
not a problem.

There is a link to a mailing list discussion about it as well.

It has been resolved, and there is a fix posted on the mailing list.
Which can be found here:
https://github.com/Kitware/CDash/commit/d8d550e969173067d292db6e91bf9a0d9a4c6276

Clint