[Cdash] Test memory consumption reported on CDash

Olivier Pierard olivier.pierard at cenaero.be
Wed Apr 18 15:27:08 UTC 2012

Dear all,

I come back to the report of memory consumption on the CDash as it is a
key indicator for our applications.

Given that:
- In the output of each test, our software give us already the peak
memory consumption used during the test (in Linux only - that's the
value we would like to report in CDash)
- On the mailing list
(http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2010-April/036574.html), I noticed
that following output during execution could add the information in
Test.xml file (not tested yet):

<DartMeasurement name="memory" type="numeric/double">123</DartMeasurement>

Unfortunately, links of examples are not valid anymore.

My questions are:
1) If the message is printed in Test.xml file, would these additional
results automatically be reported on the CDash (I guess, I'm dreaming)
?  If not, something should/could be modified in CDash source code to do
so ?
2) What's the best way to add the 'DartMeasurement' line in the test
output (not needed in the distributed version) ?  Use a CMake Variable
which add a definition so that output message could be printed from the
code ?
3) I guess, the best would be to compute the memory cost directly from
CTest so that everyone could use it easily ?  Have you ever tried it (I
found nothing on the bug tracker) ?  Do you have already some hints on
how to do it ?  Do you know any portable way to do it ?

Maybe, I'm completely wrong.  But, as it's an important feature for us,
I would be ready to contribute if it's not an huge development.

Thanks,

Olivier