[Cdash] Submitting images as part of test results to dashboard

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Mon Jun 13 23:58:01 UTC 2011

If I force one of the VTK tests to fail (by hand-editing the expected
image), I get output on the stdout from the test that contains lines like
this:

<DartMeasurement name="ImageError"
type="numeric/double">8000</DartMeasurement>
<DartMeasurement name="BaselineImage"
type="text/string">Standard</DartMeasurement>
Failed Image Test : 8000
<DartMeasurementFile name="TestImage"
type="image/png">C:/Users/.../Testing/Temporary/BoxWidget.png</DartMeasurementFile>
<DartMeasurementFile name="DifferenceImage"
type="image/png">C:/Users/.../Testing/Temporary/BoxWidget.diff.png</DartMeasurementFile>
<DartMeasurementFile name="ValidImage"
type="image/png">C:/Users/.../VTKData/Baseline/Widgets/BoxWidget.png</DartMeasurementFile>
<DartMeasurement name="WallTime"
type="numeric/double">0.0880001</DartMeasurement>
<DartMeasurement name="CPUTime"
type="numeric/double">0.088</DartMeasurement>

So... the way to get image files up to CDash so that you can see them on the
test result page is to emit similar lines on stdout from your test:

  <DartMeasurementFile name="NameYouWantToSee"
type="image/png">C:/full/path/to/photo.png</DartMeasurementFile>
  <DartMeasurementFile name="NameYouWantToSee"
type="image/jpg">C:/full/path/to/photo.jpg</DartMeasurementFile>

Hope this helps,
David