[VTK ARB] Git-SVN

Paolo Quadrani p.quadrani at cineca.it
Mon Oct 5 03:33:19 EDT 2009

Dear all,
attached you can find a document that make a comparison between Git
and SVN.

For new version of our MAF framework we decided to use SVN as main
repository for code sharing and then each developer if want can have
its own Git local repository to manage its own history for its local
code changes, and maintain changes also if it has no network connection.

Just a comment on code contribution: if someone wants to contribute
with its code, I think that you cannot accept code without
documentation (in doxygen style for example) and the related test
class that prove that the code works.

I can propose also that submitting code could be done through a web
interface that present a form to be filled with fundamental
information that the code must have and you decide what is important
for you and for validating the code. This means that you filter at
begin the code and accept only valid code and don't loose time to
review tons of classes sent via mail.
There should be also some pre checks for checking that coding
conventions are respected. For MAF we have some python scripts that
check that classes have the documentation inside and it is written in
doxygen style, scripts that check that code is written respecting the
coding convention and so on.

Cheers

Paolo Quadrani
CINECA