[VTK ARB] Modularising VTK

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Mon Oct 5 07:05:16 EDT 2009

Andrew-

We need to capture the picture somewhere (I can't wait to see it :-)). I'm
thinking that we create an upload site, several possibilities come to mind
so let me talk to the guys here and let's see what we can set up.

Will

PS- I have seen other, hopefully similar graphs done with the VTK
informatics subsystem. Maybe we need to capture these scripts as well :-)

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 2:51 AM, Andrew J. P. Maclean
<a.maclean at cas.edu.au>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have created a png file showing the dependencies in VTK. This might make
> good starting point for a discussion on modularising. It is too big to
> include
> in this message So I have attached the code to generate it instead.
>
> I found this program, written by Andrew Marlowe on the web
> (http://depdot.sourceforge.net/) and had to do some minor modifications.
>  There
> is a folder called dep with a simple shell script and also a file called
> notes
> on how to run it. The attached file contains the modified cpp file.
>
> It is interesting to run it on VTK. I get a png file of around 7Mb in size
> showing a tree of the dependencies between the libraries. This includes
> Python
> and TCL.
>
> If we exclude Python and TCL we get a rather beautiful graph of around 1.4
> Mb.
> It shows a definite core of fundamental libraries.
>
> Use the attached script to get the libraries excluding Python and TCL.
>
> If you just want the picture I am happy to e-mail it or maybe Berk or Will
> could put it on the Wiki if you think it relevant.
>

> Regards
>    Andrew

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc.