[Ves] Size limit in the number of vertices

ves ves at calculoandamios.com
Wed Feb 6 12:48:26 EST 2013

Hello,

I attach three screenshoots with the values given by
GLView.

As reference, I have modified the following code and now the
file is loaded and can be manipulated, although there are some errors in
the model (I think there are some invalid triangles) . The information
of the model gives Triangles: 222348 and Vertices=77376

Regards,

Carlos

bool vesKiwiDataLoader::isErrorOnMoreThan65kVertices()

const

{

return false; // MOdified to avoid error

return this

->Internal->IsErrorOnMoreThan65kVertices;

}

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013
09:56:19 -0500, Aashish Chaudhary wrote:

> Dear Carlos,
> Could you
please download GLView http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.php
[9] and get all the extensions on your device for us?

6, 2013 at 8:27 AM, ves wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> The tablet is the
Gemini GEM7008 (http://www.geminidevices.com [6]) and it is the entry
level tablet. In fact, as an Ipad user I think that it is a very basic
tablet :)

>> I bought it yesterday to make some tests and I mainly
was looking for an Android 4 device.

>> The main characteristics
are:

>> CPU
>> A13 (ARM Cortex A8 1Ghz)
>>
>> Graphics
>> Mali-400
3D Accelerator

>> Display
>> 7" 800x480 Capacitive 5 Point Multi
Touch

>> OS
>> Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
>>
>> Storage
>> 8GB
(Up to 32GB with Micro SD)

>> RAM
>> 512MB RAM
>>
>> WiFi
>> B/G
>>

>> 3G
>> N/A
>>
>> Webcam
>> Front 0.3 Megapixel
>>
>> Battery

2500mAh

>> I/O Ports
>> 1 Micro SD Slot (up to 32GB), 1 x Micro USB
(OTG), 1 x Stereo Earphone Slot

>> Dimensions
>> Width 191 x Height
110 x Depth 8.6 (mm)

>> Special Features
>>
>> 5 Point Capacitive
Multi Touch, G Sensor

>> I have tested the Kiwiviewer version from
the Google Play and It is not possible to open the file, although it can
open and play properly smaller models exported by me or from the
examples provided.

>> Could you tell me where in the code is the
runtime checking and also which is the requirement for pass it. ? For me
it is OK if generally speaking new / powerfull tablets can support > 65k
vertices, but I would like to debug a little bit to understand the
requirements. I will come back with some results but I will need some
time as the Android world is quite new for me.

>> Regards,

Carlos

>> On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 22:33:38 +1000, Pat Marion wrote:
>>

>>> It does depend on the device, older devices will not support >65k
vertices, but most modern devices will support it. KiwiViewer does a
check at runtime to decide whether or not there is support. Of course,
it's possible there is a bug and the runtime check is failing, even
though your device supports the gl extension. What device are you using?
Also, could you try the version of KiwiViewer that is in the Google Play
store to see if that works any better?

6, 2013 at 10:29 PM, ves wrote:

> [...]
exported a VTK model to OBJ and I try to view it in Kiwiviewer (Android
Version compiled by me with the source code downloading from github). I
have an error message saying that the file contains more than the
supported maximum number of points.

explanation about this issue as in the kiwiviwer mailing list
(http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/kiwiviewer/2011-October/000002.html
[1]) it is stated that the problem is related with OpenGL ES and that is
something that can be solved (in October 2011). Additionally in the
Kiwiviewer example with the point cloud library
(http://vimeo.com/42773717 [2]) it is stated that there are more than
200000 points (in IOS).

know if this limit is only for Android, if it is related with the
datasheet or it perhaps for each actor and I can circumvent the limit
adding several actors to the scene. If not, is this size limit to be
increased in the next version?

> --

Aashish Chaudhary
> | R&D Engineer