[Paraview] How to convert scalars to colors (and texture) with OpenGL2 turned ON

Nenad Vujicic nenadus at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 11:09:05 EDT 2016

Hello everyone,

I work on ParaView exporter plugin and I bumped on one problem when OpenGL2
was introduced as default value for PARAVIEW_RENDERING_BACKEND (v5.1). When
I used OpenGL, I converted scalars to colors and generated textures, which
I used for coloring meshes in format to which I export, using class derived
from vtkScalarsToColorsPainter. However, now, when I turn ON OpenGL2, I'm
not able to access this class and even if I access, it relies on some
header files which are generated during build (but only if OpenGL is
selected).

Luckily, OpenGL still exists as an option and I can use it for now. But, I
would like to know:

1. Is it possible somehow to generate colors and texture from scalars when
OpenGL2 is used (similar technique like with vtkScalarsToColorsPainter
class with OpenGL)?

2. If it is not possible, is it planned in future to add support for
something like this for OpenGL2 case?

3. Is it planned to drop support for OpenGL option at some time in future
and approximately when (if known)?

Thanks in advance!

Nenad.

p.s. I build entire ParaViewSuperbuild using VS2013, x64 under Windows 10
Pro with approximately same options like on your dashboards (
https://open.cdash.org/index.php?project=ParaView), at the moment (but,
very soon will work on CentOS v7 x64 too).