[Paraview] ImageData extent overlapping within MPI Catalyst pipeline

Luigi Calori l.calori at cineca.it
Fri Aug 19 13:42:38 EDT 2016

We are newbie in Catalyst, trying to instrument two CFD MPI simulation
codes that both have 3d  regular grid
  as it' s data structure. We have followed the fortran example and used
ImageData for both codes.
The two code are different in the distribution of the memory among
processors:
one is a differential one who keep overlapping extents among processors:
this gave no problems.
The other does not have any overlapping as it using 2d fft decomposition.
The imagedata extents of each processor do not overlap as there is no
need of "ghost" cells.
This result in a strange bug in filter slicing:
If the slicing is done in the paraview client ( the whole field is
passed to client) and we slice there, slice is ok.
If the slicing is done in the catalyst pipeline, the slice has gaps.

As one difference is the overlapping of each processor extent, is it
REQUIRED that there is some overlapping of
PointData extents?

Thanks in advance for any help

Best

Luigi

--
Luigi Calori
SuperComputing Applications and Innovation Department