[Paraview] Visualizing a Cone with PVW - Connection can't be established

Dmitry Duplyakin duplyakin at uchicago.edu
Sun Jul 20 12:12:38 EDT 2014

Hi all,

My name is Dmitry Duplyakin. I am a PhD student helping to build a
ParaViewWeb system at University of Chicago.

We are building ParaView 4.1.0 (with OSMesa) on Amazon EC2 Ubuntu 12.04
instances.

We have verified that PV builds without errors and that PVW launcher is
functioning (new entries are added to the proxy file, vis sessions are
created and are listening to ports in the specified range, etc.)

We are trying to visualize a simple cone:
(added app in launch.json)
"cone": {"cmd": ["${python_exec}",
"/pv/src/VTK/Web/Applications/Cone/server/vtk_web_cone.py", "--port",
"${port}"]}},

We have verified that vtk_web_cone.py actually gets called. In order to
test it, we used /pv/www/apps/TestApp/index.html as a template and created
/pv/www/apps/Cone/index.html where we have:
  var config = {
    sessionManagerURL: vtkWeb.properties.sessionManagerURL,
    application: "cone"
  };

Now when we access this app via a browser at: http://<hostname>/apps/Cone/
we either get a timeout or "connection can't be established" message.

In the apache error log we see:
[Sun Jul 20 16:04:15 2014] [error] [client 128.135.188.231] proxy: Error
reading from remote server returned by /paraview/, referer:
http://54.211.22.94/apps/Cone/
[Sun Jul 20 16:04:15 2014] [error] [client 128.135.188.231] File does not
exist: /pv/www/ws

It appears that it has do to with Apache configuration, where we have:
ProxyPass        /paraview http://localhost:8080/paraview
ProxyPassReverse /paraview http://localhost:8080/paraview
RewriteEngine On
RewriteMap session-to-port txt:/pv/conf/proxy.conf
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING}     ^sessionId=(.*)$ [NC]
RewriteRule    ^/proxy.*$  ws://${session-to-port:%1}/ws  [P]

Do these Rewrite commands look right? How can their actions be logged and
verified?

Do we actually need ProxyPassReverse here?

Is it possible that we are missing a module or some additional
configuration in Apache?
# apachectl -t -D DUMP_MODULES
 proxy_module (shared)
 proxy_http_module (shared)
 proxy_wstunnel_module (shared)
 rewrite_module (shared)
Syntax OK

Any debugging advice?

Your help will be much appreciated and will allow to move forward with our
isntallation.

Dmitry Duplyakin
PhD student, CS at University of Colorado - Boulder