[Paraview] PV & multiple video cards

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Jun 22 16:16:48 EDT 2010

I think this is a good suggestion.  I don't think the fact that it relies on processes being assigned in a particular order is a big deal.  The default allocation is usually to place contiguous ranks in the same node anyway.  The tiled display options also have heavy reliance on the order in which processes are assigned, and I don't recall complaints about that.

The only change I would suggest is to not have an option named --number-of-gpu-per-host change the display parameter.  The option name should reflect the fact that it is going to override the display environment variable.  Offhand, I cannot think of a single option name that reflects both the fact that you are changing the display and providing the number of screen ids to use.  Perhaps you would have two options, the --number-of-gpu-per-host as you described and a something like --set-display-server-id-by-process-id.  Since one does not make sense without the other, you could give an error if one is used independently.

-Ken