[Paraview] Batch, X and MPI

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Tue Oct 10 13:00:40 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 12:18 -0400, Kent Eschenberg wrote:
> To review: I'm trying to get pvbatch 2.4.4 to run without an X server.
>
> --On 10/10/2006 08:42:04 AM -0400 hobbsk at ohiou.edu wrote:
> > I keep seeing that a display is looked for unless VTK_USE_OFFSCREEN is
> > set. This option only becomes available after either the OSMesa library
> > is found or the mangled Mesa library is found.
>
> ccmake was run, the flag was set to on, and cmake was asked to regenerate the make files. I verified that the flag was on by looking at CMakeCache.txt and reran make. But I still get the message
>
> ======
> ERROR: In /usr/local/packages/paraview/2.4.4/src/VTK/Rendering/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 477
> vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (141757600): bad X server connection.
> ======
>
> I thought that pvbatch was fixed over a year ago so that it didn't need an X server. Have I perhaps missed some other flag?
>
> This has become an urgent problem here and any advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Kent
> Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center

I must admit to not being an expert. I think I have offscreen rendering
all figured out, everything works for a while, then I mess something up
and I can't remember how it all worked.

I do know of a work around though, you can as a regular user run virtual
X servers. This is how cron runs my VTK and ParaView tests.

Xvfb :99 -ac -screen 0 1024x768x24 > xvfb.txt 2>&1 &
export DISPLAY=:99

program that wants X

killall Xvfb