[Paraview] Re: pv2.9 features...

Stephane PLOIX stephane.ploix at edf.fr
Tue Oct 10 05:16:10 EDT 2006

Thanks for the reply,

>>ParaView3 can create "panels" automatically based on the contents of the
server manager XML, which allows you to focus on creating filters instead
of writing UI.  You also have the option to >>create custom panels using
varying combinations of C++, Qt, and Qt designer if an auto-generated
panel doesn't meet your needs.

I looked some more into the code, and it appears that we have to modify
the source code (or the source xml files) if we want to add any new filter
:
My conclusions come from the fact that panels are generated as static Qt
interfaces (cf comment in pqObjectPanelLoader.h), and the xml files are
included into the vtkSMGeneratedModules.h file, which is the only file
used to initialize the application ( the method addConfigurationFile is
never called).
Will we have the possibility to dynamically import package (via the menu
or the env variables)?

The other point is that I can't find a xml file for the client as those
that where in the old GUI/Client/Resources dir.
You say that the interface is generated from the SM xml, that means that
we can't choose specify the GUI other than by coding it in C++/Qt?
What are the Qt/Components/Resources/XML/... files for?

Many questions, because I am really interested by what you are doing on
Paraview3 ;-)
Cheers,
Stephane

Stéphane Ploix