[Paraview] common calculations module

Simone Crippa crippa at kth.se
Thu Jan 26 10:23:44 EST 2006

Hi All,

I am wondering what is the best way to implement in Paraview often
recurring calculations ... maybe an example is better:

I have to postprocess CFD data. My solver gives out pressure,
density, ... for each point of an unstructured grid, which I import in
Paraview. If I want to calculate e.g. the entropy production in the
whole field I open the calculator and calculate it out of the field
values, e.g. density, pressure and with the constant undisturbed
(free-stream) values.

I feel a bit dumb to type down the equation(s) every time (in this case
relative easy, but sometimes it can be pretty complicated to get all the
braces right), so I thought that maybe I could use the "import modules"
functionality to first write a module (.xml and .pvsm) which
incorporates my equation(s) and then "filter" my dataset with this
module.

Is this the recommended way? How should I do it then? ... use the
vtkCalculator class, somehow?
The problem is that I am not very good at coding xml ... actually as an
engineer I seldom need to code with anything more complex than Fortran
or Matlab. So if someone out there has solved this type of "problem"
before, it would be nice to know how. (In a way I can emulate :-)

Thanks, Simone

--
Simone Crippa
Research assistant, Dipl.-Ing.