[Paraview] common calculations module

Daniel Goldstein Daniel.E.Goldstein at colorado.edu
Fri Jan 27 10:21:19 EST 2006

Simone Crippa wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am wondering what is the best way to implement in Paraview often
>recurring calculations ... maybe an example is better:
>
>I have to postprocess CFD data. My solver gives out pressure,
>density, ... for each point of an unstructured grid, which I import in
>Paraview. If I want to calculate e.g. the entropy production in the
>whole field I open the calculator and calculate it out of the field
>values, e.g. density, pressure and with the constant undisturbed
>(free-stream) values.
>
>I feel a bit dumb to type down the equation(s) every time (in this case
>relative easy, but sometimes it can be pretty complicated to get all the
>braces right), so I thought that maybe I could use the "import modules"
>functionality to first write a module (.xml and .pvsm) which
>incorporates my equation(s) and then "filter" my dataset with this
>module.
>
>Is this the recommended way? How should I do it then? ... use the
>vtkCalculator class, somehow?
>The problem is that I am not very good at coding xml ... actually as an
>engineer I seldom need to code with anything more complex than Fortran
>or Matlab. So if someone out there has solved this type of "problem"
>before, it would be nice to know how. (In a way I can emulate :-)
>

>Thanks, Simone

 Hi Simone
    I have been looking at how to do this also.  I do CFD and also would
like to setup some startdard post processing in Paraview.
I do not yet have any good solution though. Perhaps a TCL script that
calls the calculator tool with different equations?
Has anyone come up with a way to set this up?  If anyone has some TCL
scripts that they use to do standard post processing could
you post some examples for us?

Thanks

Dan

Dan Goldstein