[Paraview-developers] ForceUpdate message

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Oct 18 16:48:40 EDT 2004

Fisk, Lee Ann wrote:
> At some point between the 1.6.3 release and today the parallel Exodus
> reader stopped executing correctly in client/server ParaView.

I just found the problem.  It was broken on October 1.

> So on server node 0 vtkPExodusReader::Execute runs, but this time
> UpdateNumberOfPieces == 1, so this reader tries to read in all the files
> itself.
>
> I'm at a loss to know what to do now, because I don't understand the new
> pipeline well enough.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

This has nothing to do with the new pipeline.  There are actually two
problems:

1.) There is a bug in vtkPExodusReader::Execute.  It sets the
MaximumNumberOfPieces on its output to 1 during the ShallowCopy into the
real output, which conflicts with ExecuteInformation setting it to -1.
The proper value is -1, so Execute should fix it after the copy.  This
is a bug but it was not exposed until October 1 when problem #2 was
created.  I have NOT fixed this problem.

2.) A change was made that caused the filter to execute too early.  This
caused ParaView to insert an extra filter after the reader that changes
the UpdateNumberOfPieces to 1.  This filter is not supposed to be
inserted because the MaximumNumberOfPieces on the output from the reader
should be -1, but it is now +1.  I have fixed this problem.

The old behavior has been restored by fixing #2, but the author of
vtkPExodusReader should still resolve #1.

-Brad