[Paraview-developers] ForceUpdate message

Fisk, Lee Ann lafisk at sandia.gov
Tue Oct 12 16:17:50 EDT 2004

At some point between the 1.6.3 release and today the parallel Exodus
reader stopped executing correctly in client/server ParaView.  I tried
running the NewPipeConvert script on it, but that didn't help.

vtkPExodusReader::Execute runs in every server process and decides which
files of a distributed Exodus file set to read in.  This decision is
based on the output's UpdatePiece and UpdateNumberOfPieces.

Currently, if you select a range of files using the ParaView GUI, on the
server side the following happens:

vtkPExodusReader::ExecuteInformation runs

vtkPExodusReader::Execute runs (UpdatePiece == process number,
UpdateNumberOfPieces == number of processes)

On server node 0, vtkPVUpdateSuppressor::ForceUpdate happens

So on server node 0 vtkPExodusReader::Execute runs, but this time
UpdateNumberOfPieces == 1, so this reader tries to read in all the files
itself.

I'm at a loss to know what to do now, because I don't understand the new
pipeline well enough.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

Lee Ann

--
Lee Ann Fisk, Department 9227
Data Analysis and Visualization