[Insight-developers] ITK ImageIO and Read/WriteImageInformation

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Fri Apr 1 16:58:42 EDT 2011

Kent,

The ReadImageInformation is very much used in the ImageFileReader and the ImageSeriesReader. This method is called during the UpdateOutputInformaiton phase of the pipeline. It is what updates the size, spacing origin, etc before the whole image is read. This function is very important to be implemented.

I am unaware on the WriteImageInformation being used in the writes, nor what the expected results would be.

Brad

On Apr 1, 2011, at 4:52 PM, Williams, Norman K wrote:

> I'm working on a new ImageIO class, and I wondered about the
> ReadImageInformation and WriteImageInformation.  These functions are pure
> virtual in ImageIOBase, so a subclass must define them.
>
> But the ImageFileReader & ImageFileWriter don't actually call those
> functions.  Some ImageIO classes define them as empty functions, and some
> -- like NiftiImageIO -- call WriteImageInformation at the top of the Write
> method.
>
> So what I'd like to know is what are Read/WriteImageInformation really
> for? Are they vestigal remnants of an abandoned feature? Or is there some
> way in which they're crucial?

> Notice: This UI Health Care e-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error, then delete it.  Thank you.

> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for
National Library of Medicine