[Insight-developers] ITK ImageIO and Read/WriteImageInformation

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Fri Apr 1 16:52:07 EDT 2011

I'm working on a new ImageIO class, and I wondered about the
ReadImageInformation and WriteImageInformation.  These functions are pure
virtual in ImageIOBase, so a subclass must define them.

But the ImageFileReader & ImageFileWriter don't actually call those
functions.  Some ImageIO classes define them as empty functions, and some
-- like NiftiImageIO -- call WriteImageInformation at the top of the Write
method.

So what I'd like to know is what are Read/WriteImageInformation really
for? Are they vestigal remnants of an abandoned feature? Or is there some
way in which they're crucial?